We would like to announce the development of a main stud kit for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe Theta I4 engine. Theta I4 engine is very similar to the Mitsubishi 4B11T engine. This kit was developed because no such application was available in the aftermarket performance industry. This kit was custom developed in a collaboration between Pavel’s Racing Engines and ARP, the world leader in performance fastener technology.
This ARP2000 main stud kit includes a set of ten ARP2000 main studs and ten 8740 chrome moly steel 12 pt nuts and a 1/2 oz. pack of ARP Ultra-Torque fastener assembly lubricant. All Pro Series ARP2000 studs are centerless ground, heat treated prior to thread rolling and machining, and are nominally rated at 220,000 psi. These fasteners deliver a 50% increase in tensile strength over the OEM main bolts. Additionally, main studs utilize a base seating feature to evenly distribute maximum load on the stud and not the threads. This feature is typically found only in high level race engines. This is the pointed, pilot tip, at the end of the stud.
Advantages of having ARP main stud kit over using factory bolts:
- more accurate torquing of the fastener(ARP studs, unlike bolts, do not twist during the torquing process, thus giving you a more accurate reading than traditional bolts that twist during tightening.)
- reduction of main cap walk(Main cap walk occurs when great combustion loads force the crankshaft downwards against the cap, causing it to lift off the block mating surface and shift out of alignment.)
- reduction of main cap fretting(Fretting is micro-motion between the main bearing cap and block that results in material loss at the joint. This motion causes a loss of crankshaft to main bearing running clearance that can lead to a spun main bearing, a spun connecting rod bearing, and/or a broken crankshaft.)
- more consistent alignment of main caps(ARP studs installed prior to crankshaft and main cap installation helps with alignment and seating.)
- faster and more accurate assembly and disassembly of the engine