PRE Tuning

VW ABA 2.0 stroker motor build

STORY:

This is an engine build for a local customer. He is a VW fanatic and likes doing things just a little different than most. After collecting parts for the last 8 years he finally decided to go ahead with this engine build. The goal is a reliable, torquy, naturally aspirated engine to power a 1989 VW Cabrio. This engine will use an 8 valve SOHC cylinder head and an OBD2 conversion.

PARTS LIST:

• JE SRP Autotech 83.5mm forged piston kit with piston pins, lock, and rings
  • Cunningham I-beam forged steel connecting rods
  • VW TDI diesel 95.5mm stroke crankshaft
  • Audi 80 2.o liter block with piston oil cooling jets
  • New Bosch distributor
  • Blueprinted oil pump
  • OEM main and rod bearings
  • ARP main stud kit
  • ARP head stud kit
  • Dual valve springs
  • Titanium retainers
  • 268 degree camshaft
  • OEM metal head gasket
  • OEM oil baffle shield
  • New OEM oil pan
  • All new seals and gaskets
SERVICES AND MACHINING:
  • Bore/hone block to size
  • Deck mill block and hand stone to prepare for metal head gasket
  • Weight match connecting rods
  • Measure connecting rod bolt length and record on log book
  • Weight match pistons
  • Check main and rod bearing clearances using micrometers and bore gauges
  • Check piston to cylinder clearance using micrometers and bore gauges
  • Balance and micropolish crankshaft
  • Install Mallory heavy metal into crankshaft for balancing
  • Measure piston dish and combustion volume and calculate compression ratio
  • Disassemble, clean, and inspect oil pump
  • File piston ring gap to size using Childs & Albert piston ring grinder
Pictures of the engine build in progress:

12 Comments to VW ABA 2.0 stroker motor build

1. Brian Harrison's Gravatar Brian Harrison
    12/01/2016 at 18:11

I have a 97 ABA 2.0 block. With this 95.5mm stroker diesel what exact size rods and pistons do I use for a turbo motor

2. louis's Gravatar louis
    14/03/2016 at 10:27

What does the hole conversion cost

3. Carl's Gravatar Carl
    24/03/2017 at 22:37

hey ran across your site looking for information on how to build power for a 2.0l vw gas engine. So i was wondering if could point me in the right direction. I have a 1999 vw bettle 2.0l aeg.Had the car for years now! and plan on rebuild but needed help with ideas to get stared this summer.whats the best route want the engine to last.n/a if possible.

4. Michael Lindsay's Gravatar Michael Lindsay
    03/06/2017 at 15:17

Hi

I am interested in these builds. Got a 2001 jetta 2.0 5 speed.help.

5. Phil's Gravatar Phil
    01/08/2017 at 21:39

Hi Pavel ! I’ve been in love with my ’84 rabbit GTI since I bought it in the eighties. I’ve heard about oversize rebuilds for a 2.0 16v – 2.2 or 2.3 L. Is this possible & what is the approximate cost range ? Thx.

6. 23/10/2017 at 18:12

Hi, I have a 97 Jetta GT, 2.0 ABA, looking to increase the torque and hp. Have read your above info and you mention the TDI 95.5 mm stroke crankshaft, are these not counter weighted from the factory. Which TDI have that crank? How do you come up with the connecting rods for any engine. Thanks Mike.