PRE Tuning

Today we started a new project. Customer submitted a Hyundai Genesis Coupe Theta 2.0T engine for us to disassemble, assess build quality, and suggest upgraded parts for increased performance and reliability.

Initial observations: the new engine is an all aluminum inline 4. The block is lighter than the old 4G63. Contrary to the old 4G63 found in the Lancer Evolution 7-9, the new engine has the exhaust/turbo on the left side and intake on the right side of the engine. New engine uses bucket-style direct valve activation, compared to the 4G63 using rocker arms. Oil pump is not a separate unit driven by a chain off the crankshaft and located in the oil pan. 4G63 oil pump was timing belt driven and located in the front engine cover. 4B11 does not have balance shafts like its predecessor. Crankshaft is forged and fully counter-weighed. Pistons are cast with friction coated short piston skirts. Connecting rods are “broken” or fracture style. This means the connecting rod is made of powder steel as one piece and precise “broken” during manufacturing in order to separate it. We this being the weak point of the engine. While being adequate for its designed performance duties, the rods become a weak link when increasing engine performance. This can lead to catastrophic engine failures. Our suggestion is replacement of connecting rods in all performance-oriented applications. Main caps are independent on the 4b11 contrary to the 4G63 which has a single cast-iron girdle. Before disassembly we though the engine had the upper oil pan and main caps act as one unit, common practice in racing and even modern engines such as the F20 in the Honda S2000, but this was not the case. The main caps are not tied into the oil pan, nor are they connected together with any type of girdle. This is an area of development we will take on at Pavel’s Racing Engines.

Shortly we will be performing further disassembly of the cylinder head and testing valve springs. We will also provide all component dimensions and weights.

Enjoy the pictures. Most pictures have descriptions. Click to see the details.

13 Comments to Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Theta engine disassembly, evaluation, and comparison to the Mitsubishi Evo X 4B11T

1. dylan's Gravatar dylan
    03/03/2015 at 17:26

hello I just read your findings on the 2.0t genesis coupe motor. I have a 2013 and was given a set of unorthodox racing lightweight pulleys (crank and alt.) What was your findings more importantly on the crankshaft balance of the 2.0t. Is it ok to run a light weight crank pulley?

2. Jesus's Gravatar Jesus
    07/11/2015 at 21:56

Can you provide me the ARP Main Studs part number you used for these build?

3. luciano's Gravatar luciano
    26/11/2015 at 21:57

Hello!, hyundai Genesis has exactly the 4G63 engine ? Or other similar to 4G63 engine of Mitsubishi? Thanks !!!!!!!!

4. luciano's Gravatar luciano
    28/11/2015 at 00:58

Thanks Pavel, so… Theta engine is Korean or Japanese ?

5. luciano's Gravatar luciano
    30/11/2015 at 23:51

OK. Where can send a mail for recive more information about Hyundai Genesis Engine ?? Thanks..

6. luciano's Gravatar luciano
    03/12/2015 at 15:07

How many PSI has Genesis turbo “OEM” ? ( Genesis new line, twin scroll turbo 275 HP )
    Someone answers please.

7. Eddie's Gravatar Eddie
    17/03/2016 at 00:19

Hello i have a question, i was researching on both motors and found out that the 4b11T is a semi-closed deck block and gen motor is a open deck does this effect performance if so how can i fix that. And is there performance parts from the 4b11T we can use on the gen motor. I just want my motor to be as strong as the 4b11T. Thankd you.

8. Giulio F.- Italy's Gravatar Giulio F.- Italy
    30/03/2017 at 06:08

Hello dear PRE team!
    I have read with high interest your detailed and serious coverage about the Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0t theta engine.

I write you from Italy, where the car is EXTREMELY rare and unfortunately unknown to any serious car tuner…

I have a work in progress soft tuning on my 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo: at the moment I have corrected the spark plugs gapping according to the projects specs (1.0-1.1mm), installed an R2C dynamic cold air filter (black hex series) that utilizes the factory air duct, Installed a test pipe (original section), and a Magnaflow 16478 catback exhaust system (3″)..
    I also have already upgraded the clutch/flywhee/clutch slave with the 2013- models as my clutch did start slipping (right now I have 21.000 km on the car).

My question: I found an ECU tuner who already did few tailor made ECU maps (on the dyno), that claims an expected gain of +30hp and 40nm of torque (as safe

Together with the performance upgrades, I would ask him to ANTICIPATE for safety reasons the rev limiter of 500rpm, and eliminate the annoying rev-hang issue/feature..

ACCORDING TO YOUR EXPERIENCE and on the kind of components you have observed inside theengine, do you think that WITHOUT CHANGING PISTONS AND RODS WITH FORGED ONES, the engine would run fine and safe? I am talking of a final result of a car with 230-250hp maximum (I don’t know.. 220/230hp at the rear wheels..?)

Please…! Help me evaluate correctly the steps to take in a safe direction..!

Thanking you respectfully and thrustfully, I send you friendly regards from Milan, ITALY!
    Giulio